The entirety of the 2013-2014 Xavier men's basketball schedule (click for a very pretty .pdf of the schedule) was released today. The non-conference slate had been released earlier in the summer - though the Muskies have seemed to add a game against Abilene Christian since then - and we knew X would be playing against their new conference mates in the Big East season, but it's still exciting to see all the names and dates finally laid out. Some of my thoughts upon seeing it are below.
- Isn't Abilene Christian an NAIA school? (They're not; they were D2 as recently as last year though.) They are, however, a non-counter this year.
- Eight non-conference home games, four neutral site games, and one true roadie. That looks like a power team, or, you know, Syracuse.
- The Battle 4 Atlantis should make for some good viewing over the Thanksgiving weekend.
- First taste of MSG on February 25th.
- Also, does any conference have a bigger disparity between quality of home venues than the Big East with MSG - a flat-out special arena for basketball - and Hinkle Fieldhouse - a barn with a peach basket nailed to each end wall?
- There are a lot of games in the conference schedule that would have been circled in red if they had shown up on the non-conference slate a year ago. Georgetown? St. John's? Creighton? Marquette? These are the big boys.
What are your thoughts? What games are you looking forward to seeing? How will the young Muskies fare against this schedule? Get yourself up to speed on every single meaningful coach, player, and strategy Xavier will run into this year as Brad and I break down each team in the ongoing 2013 season preview section.